The English journalist defended his kids in an article for the Daily Mail on Sunday, March 28, claiming they’ve been harassed following his actions against the former Suits actress, 39, in which he said he didn’t “believe a word she says” after her tell-all interview with her husband, Prince Harry, where she claimed she faced racism while living in the U.K. and she contemplated suicide amid her time as a senior royal.
“I’ve always subscribed to the ‘If you dish it out, you’ve got to take it’ philosophy,” Morgan, 55, wrote as part of the Mail on Sunday publication. “But my three sons told me they too are all being targeted and sent me screenshots of venomous abuse and threats of violence towards them.”
The TV personality said the harassment toward his sons, Spencer, 27, Stanley, 23, and Albert, 20 with ex-wife Marion Shalloe, made his stomach “churn,” adding that police are already investigation a death threat made against his eldest son, Spencer, last month.
“None of them even care about Meghan Markle, let alone agree with my views on her,” he continued. “Yet the Twitter troll mob has found them guilty by association. One troll vowed to murder me in front of them, and added: ‘When your dad dies, the world will have a party.’”
Morgan, who also shares 9-year-old daughter Elise with wife Celia Walden, walked off the set of Good Morning Britain on March 9, over backlash for his remarks about Markle’s after she revealed she had suicidal thoughts while pregnant with son Archie.
He said on Sunday that people called him “racist” and claimed he was “mocking mental illness” by not believing Markle’s statements. “It didn’t matter that I’ve never said anything racist about her or that my only comments about her race have been to repeatedly say how great it was that a bi-racial woman married into the royal family,” Morgan wrote. “No, it appears that questioning Meghan’s fork-tongued ‘truth’ is now a racist hate crime.”